MAS 963 Fundamentals: Color, shape, sound and location
- Tufte, E. 1990. Envisioning Information.
Cheshire, CT: Graphics Press.
There are several copies in the Lab; it is on reserve in Rotch
- Small, David. 1996. Navigating large
bodies of text. IBM Systems Journal, Vol. 35, No. 3&4.
- Jacobson, N and Bender, W. 1996. Color as a determined communicationIBM Systems Journal, Vol. 35, No. 3&4.
- Arnheim, Rudolph. 1974. Art and Visual
Perception. Berkeley: The University of California Press.
chapter 2 "Shape".
Make a sketch of a newsgroup visualization / interface. The readings should provide inspiration for thinking beyond the obvious. Some ideas you might explore (and you may well choose to address different issues instead - and do not try to address too many) include:
- How could you use small multiples to show the range in style of different
- How can the text itself be the key component of the interface?
And keep these questions in mind:
- How are you depicting temporal development? Individuals? Threads?
- How are you using color? What shape does the visualization create?
This assignment is due Tuesday Sept 22 by 5:00 p.m. Please submit
the URL of your sketch online.